Weds 3rd October 10pm UK/Ire, 5pm ET
I was saddened to read this report about the attitude of A&E staff to two homeless people https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/stigma-of-homelessness-they-couldn-t-hide-the-disgust-on-their-faces-1.3646825
So I asked Reinhart Gauss to lead this week’s. Reinhart is from Canada, and has been a regular participant in #IrishMed for many years. He is now homeless, and can give his perspective from the sharp end; homelessness is not just a global issue, but also an individual tragedy.
‘Someone has to let people know most didn’t choose to be homeless. Once you are, it’s a vicious cycle to get back on your feet.’
(1) What is it like, being homeless?
(2) What are the medical causes + consequences of homelessness?
(3) Is medical care care a priority for the homeless?
(4) How can we provide medical care for the homeless?
(5) What are the solutions for homelessness?